Sunday, September 29, 2013

Looks Can be Deceiving

As is Jewish custom, the first Mitzvah we fulfill after Yom Kippur is putting up the Sukkah for the holiday of Sukkot. It is a great time for the community to come together. At this gathering a gentleman came up and introduced himself as “Glen”. After looking at the Hebrew inscription on his wedding band, I took him for one of the members of the Jewish community I had yet to meet. In our discussion, he asked me why the Sukkah was not out in front, for everyone to see. I gave him my reasoning and to my dismay and embarrassment, it turns out that this mild mannered man was, in fact, the new command chaplain (i.e. my boss).


In Judaism, we teach that you should assume that everyone you meet could be the messiah. By doing that, it sets you up to speak to everyone with the utmost respect, patience and love. I did not say anything “wrong” to the command chaplain, I was simply less formal than I would have been had I known. 

No comments:

Post a Comment