Sunday, August 11, 2019

Staying in my lane (Why I am here)

Aboard ship, so much of what goes on has nothing to do with religious ministry. And sometimes, it feels like I do not do enough, because I do not stand the watch. My job is not to make sure that the wrenches get turned, but that those holding the wrenches are good to go. 

I want to make a worthwhile contribution to the ship, and at the same time, stay in my lane. 

I have had to learn that it is okay to work the hours I need to, to accomplish what is in my area of responsibility.

Which means, making sure services are running smoothly, building on services, like a meditation service and the like.

It means walking the deckplates at night and therefore, finding time during the day to workout, and even catch a nap.

And I have to be okay with my limited scope of responsibility. I am not a SWO (surface warfare officer). I should not then, try to emulate their schedules or what they do.

I chaplain. Period.

That is why I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment