Sunday, April 27, 2014

Outreach

I was invited to spend a few days of Pesach with the military Jewish community in Yokosuka, Japan. Though it was cold and rainy the entire trip, the community was warm and welcoming. It was the best feeling to share the successes of the Jewish community in Okinawa with the Jews in Yokosuka.
I learned 2 important lessons while I was there:

1) Small gestures send big messages. I did not see my visiting the Yokosuka community as a big deal. It was a quick flight, some services, some programming ... They did not agree. It was a gift they wanted and someone found a way to grant it.


2) Wherever I go, I will never be alone. There are Jews everywhere. I just have to look. And of course, set up a face book page to help us find each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment