Sunday, April 27, 2014

Starfish

The Col has been joking with me for some time that once I have been in this job long enough, I will become jaded to the sob stories that come through my door.
". Serious" I admitted to her that there were plenty of marines who are whining about something or other and their issues are not However, I told her a story that surprised even her - a feat that was the highlight of my week.
The story:
A man walks down the beach, picking up starfish and throwing them back into the sea. A second man watches the first for a while before finally stopping him and asking, "what is the point?! Don't you see that the tide throws 3 starfish onto the beach for every 1 that you throw back. "
The man reaches down and picks up the starfish at his feet, throws it into the sea and says, "It matters to THIS one."
That is what drives me as I sit and listen to Marines day in and day out. It could be as simple as helping them understand that life is messy and teaching them coping skills. Others just need someone they can trust to speak to. And some have serious issues that impact their ability to function.

I felt as though the Col needed a reminder. So I gave her a starfish. And as a Marine, I knew she'd appreciate that it sits on Iwo Jima sand.



Sometimes even Colonels need reminding on how significant an otherwise insignificant act can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment