Saturday, October 25, 2014

Taipei/Typhoon Fongwong

I took the recent 96 to Taipei. The timing could not have been more perfect. A super typhoon hit while I was away. 

I have discovered that part of my self-care is getting away from the island and having the ability to turn off my phone. 


There were temples everywhere. 
I was used to seeing Buddhist temples, but we ran into some Confucian temples as well. 


                                     


Taipei 101 reminded me of the Empire State Building, with its high end stores and an observatory on the top floor. It is purposefully in the shape of a bamboo.

Taipei is known for its night markets. There was food to eat, jade to buy, clothes and souvenirs.



This is the entrance to the Shinlin night market. It was outdoor and HUGE. You just keep walking and turning and there are more streets... When heading back to the subway station, that's when you realize how big this night market is.


I visited Dr. Sun Ya Tzen Memorial Park and Museum. His memorial reminds me of the Lincoln Memorial...


Except that there are two guards posted 24 hours a day. Every hour, they switch between the Army, Navy and Air Force. They drill with their riles with the bayonets attached and it was impressive to watch.


I have never seen art carved out of coral, until now.




No comments:

Post a Comment