Monday, July 6, 2015

Losing Marines

As a non-deployable chaplain while at H & S, I never thought about losing any Marines in combat or humanitarian missions. And yet, a helicopter went down in Nepal, carrying two Combat Camera Marines. I was their chaplain for 14 months. Their memorial was . well done and well written The hardest part, was knowing that the COMCAM Marines were working the memorial, filming and taking photos - always the professionals.

They seemed surprised to see me as I approached them after the memorial was over. All I could utter to them was, "I am so sorry," and to have them cry in my arms with them whispering their appreciation for my presence. Here I It was supposed to comfort them, and they were comforting me.

Afterwards, I spoke with an 0-6 chaplain and I conveyed my concern for my inability to hold it together while comforting the Marines. He said to me that if I lose that ability to cry and feel the emotions, then that would be the worst thing My crying gives the Marines the permission to do the same -. to grieve and to heal.

God, I hope I do not have to experience this again.

I know I might.


Give me the strength to cry and mourn and help others heal with my tears. 




No comments:

Post a Comment