Saturday, November 30, 2013

First Night of Chanukkah

Chanukkah as fallen onto the night before Thanksgiving. Thanksgivukkah, as some people are calling it.

All I know is that I am hosting the first night. There are 14 people coming and I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to make sufganiyot (doughnuts) from scratch. To be amazing, I decided that I have to make jelly doughnuts.

 Turns out, it wasn't so hard. Thank you Rachel Rappaport for the recipe.

  • 3 cups of unbleached flour (sifted)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups low fat sour cream
  • Canola oil for frying
  • Jelly of your choice
  • Powdered sugar
In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs and sour cream. Mix until well blended. Heat the oil, and when very hot add 1 tbs. of batter to the oil. Fry until doughnut puffs and becomes light brown, then turn and cook on the other side. Repeat until all doughnuts are cooked. Set cooked doughnuts on a paper towel to cool (the paper towel will also absorb the excess oil). To fill the jelly into the doughnut, use a syringe, or you can poke a hole with a skewer (do it slowly) and carefully fill the doughnuts. Sprinkle the doughnuts with powdered sugar and serve immediately. This recipe makes 25 doughnuts.




 Thank you to Madeline and Jason Epstein for helping me decorate.


No comments:

Post a Comment