Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Right Job

I have officially taken over as the H&S Battalion chaplain.
I am now the chaplain for 1600 marines plus the civilians that share our work spaces and their families.
It is a daunting task. I have marines on every single military base on island, including on the army post and air force base. My second week on the job has gone by so fast and I wish I could keep an more accurate account.

This week, I think I got the validation for myself that I am doing what God wanted of me.

1) I visited PMO (Provost Marshall's office) on multiple bases. For one base, this is the first time they have seen the chaplain since getting to the island. I surprised him with my visit but his thanks was so heart-felt that I was so glad I took the time to stop by and see the on-duty PMO. I was going to skip the visit but something told me that this was important.

2) I have been doing counseling but this week, I had a visit from someone who has a lot on his plate and he's trying to deal with all of it. At the end of the counseling session, he thanked me and walked out with his head held high, rather than looking at his shoes as he had when he first walked in. And some people are questioning the validity of the Chaplain Corps.


No comments:

Post a Comment