Thursday, June 26, 2014

Mini-vacation

I have found that sometimes the job of the chaplain is to tell the boss to take a break.
In her final 20 days as BN commander and camp commander, I convinced her to go with me to Ie Shima Island. Though it is a resort island, we also have a large training facility with only a few Marines to run the program.

Today was a great day to visit. We got to watch a few drops (Marines jumping out of airplanes) and I got to go back aboard ship, even if it was just for a few minutes.








To practice landing aboard a carrier, they have a landing strip in the shape of a carrier flight deck with lights and something to represent the deck as well.


I also got to pay my respects to Ernie Pyle, the journalist who died on Ie Shima during WWII, while covering the battle on Ie Shima (also known as Ie Island).


No comments:

Post a Comment