Wednesday, July 10, 2013

NOSC Orlando

I moved to Orlando to work as an associate rabbi at a congregation in town and so joined the local NOSC to drill as a reservist.



I learned a few things along the way.


1) Putting the "fun" in funeral 

One of my most meaningful opportunities, was being a member of the funeral honors team. I learned how to bugle "TAPS" and even chaplain a funeral or two. The entire funeral, the timing and even what is said is scripted but something emotional happens when the procession of the funeral honors team begins. It is solemnity with respect and love for a now deceased comrade. We were a sight to see - all in our whites - to me a symbol of purity and unity. I choke up every time I hear TAPS (even when I play it) and watch the flag folded. I feel such pride for what I am standing for and who stands beside me. 

In Judaism, the act of eulogizing and burying the dead is called "Chesed Shel Emet," the righteous act of truth. It is considered so important since the deceased will never be able to return the favor. This is one the the things I will miss most about being a Reservist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment