Friday, February 10, 2012

NCSC - Day 3 Paris Island

There is a commercial for the Marines, 'some will hear the call.' In that commercial you see the yellow footprints. I stood in those footprints, with the D.I. (drill instructor, also called 'hat') yelling at us.
Move!
Yes, sir!
Louder!
Yes sir.
Are you done? You should say, 'Done sir!"
Done sir!

In those few seconds, I was jolted out of my relaxed state into one of complete focus. And my anxiety was heightened. That was the point.

We were then handed over to some of the base chaplains who explained that what these recruits go through is not haphazard. It's a science. This process is meant to break them down to their most basic level so they can be built back up together, with the same core values (Honor, Courage, Commitment), same ethical principles. If I know that you have trained with me, do the same things I do, have the same expectations and ethics, then I can trust you when I go into battle.

Over the course of the day, we got to see some of the training up-close. We got to visit the 4th battalion. That's the all women's battalion. The women and men train separately and only once at their next command, integrate. I watched these 40 women and remembered what is driving me to go through my training. So that I can be there for them - these women - to have a chaplain, a FEMALE chaplain they can turn to. Someone who gets the gender difficulties in the military.

The head chaplain and our guides (officers and enlisted marines) on base kept telling us that chaplains have a very important place in the military.

We support and guide, teach and counsel, offer a safe space and educate the officers, the command and their families. The D.I.s care for the body of the marine recruit. We care for their souls.

If I am lucky, I will serve with a marine battalion and having seen just a piece of the recruit's experience, I can use that when I minister to them.

Hoo-rah.

No comments:

Post a Comment