Friday, February 10, 2012

NCSC - Day 4 Dorothy

The commanding officer of the chaplain school addressed us today.
There was one thing he said that has stuck with me.

With everything going on in our lives, there is no where else we would rather be.

How true that is.
Even knowing that Gunnery Sergeant Washechek (he's a marine) is going to destroy us at PT (physical training) on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and Friday and we will still have to sit though classes after, there is no where else I would rather be.

I know why I am here. It is not because I don't think I could make it as a pulpit rabbi or Schechter school rabbi or the rabbi of a Hillel. It's because there aren't a lot of rabbis who can handle this training, inter-faith diversity and lifestyle.

There are Jews serving our military and they are entitled to have a rabbi, whether it is in Afghanistan, working on a base or a new recruit fresh off the bus at Paris Island.

And if I have to be here to get there to serve Amcha, then...

there is no where else I would rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment