Sunday, July 31, 2011

ODS - Day 13 Colors

My grandfather was drafted during World War II and was sent to Japan to fight. During the flight, he mentioned to the pilot how he had always wanted to fly planes but because he was color-blind, he would never have that chance. The pilot turned to him and said something to the effect of, “Henry, today is your lucky day.” My grandfather was given the controls and flew the plane for an hour. As he described it to me, it was the best day of his life. Without saying anything, I also know that he served the country he loved with honor, courage, commitment and love. He loved this country with his entire heart. Today I would have made him very proud. I was a part of the color detail. That’s the group of people who are tasked to raising the flag at 08:00 and bringing it down at sunset.

This morning, I walked out to the flag pole and saluted at the start of the national anthem. I get goose-bumps every time I watch the flag swaying in the breeze. This evening, color guard was even better. I got to bring the flag down. As I was lowering the flag, I thought of my grandfather. I hoped he was watching from heaven. And when I folded the flag, I did it with the sense of pride that I was continuing a tradition.

What we did discover when we were folding the flag is that my arm is the perfect length to fold the flag perfectly. Who knew?

As I handed the flag to the ACDO (it would take too long to explain - look it up), I became a little emotional. Not everyone feels this connected to the flag and what she, Old Glory, represents. To me, she represents hope, truth, justice, honor, my grandfather and my future.

1 comment:

  1. This post gave me goose bumps, tremors... all the feels. What a story about your Saba, then the color guard. Wowza. *salute*

    ReplyDelete